Sunday, April 1, 2012

Saucy


I have a certain fondness for coconut milk. And for cans in which a million great spices and something red (chiles I'm guessing) have been shmeared together into some seriously savory paste. And why should I not? The duo turns chicken broth into something exotic. And let's face it, exotic flavors do a lot for us these days. We don't go out. We don't travel. (Ok, we do go to New Jersey.) But we do eat. Tonight was a feed-the-kids-quick-before-someone-explodes-from-low-blood-sugar kind of night. The girls had pasta with red sauce, lima beans (they still don't know they're supposed to find them blech-y, hee hee), and applesauce. Applesauce that Mazie felt should go into her milk. "It'll be so yum mommy!" Ok, then drink it. Seriously, drink it Maze. "Not so yum mommy." You get the picture. Kids ate basic kid shlop. I try to feed all of us real food - but the growing divides between what a one year old, a three year-old, and two well, older people will eat are well, still growing. Sorry kids, grown-ups won tonight... Chicken marinated with lime, soy sauce, basil, sugar, some other stuff Martha told me to include. Grilled. In the rain. It is April people. And noodles. Chinese ones. From a package. The end result: Spicy, Succulent, Saucy. And thank you to the English cucumbers for their crunchy coolness. And to Becca for her crunchy coolness, and for reading my blog!

3 comments:

  1. I am loving this! I have 4 cans of coconut milk. I am so doing this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a fan of crunchy coolness. We have those same magnetic letters (and their singing machine) in our kitchen too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And soon she'll be dancing around the kitchen to that abc song, which will slowly drive you nuts - the song, not the dancing!

      Delete