Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Is it summer yet?


My mouth is ready for summer. The flavors of summer. As much as I do love stews and those creamy-type comfort foods (remember, I'm not afraid of condensed soups, after all - every decent casserole's primary ingredient), my palette is longing for some zing and freshness. Tonight we approximated summer flavors. And although I settled for pan-fried turkey burger sliders instead of an actual grilled burger, the meal wasn't disappointing at all. And it was quick and healthy. Here's how it went down... I realized I mistakenly bought 99% lean ground turkey (that must have been one skinny bird) and figured out that, because the grill was all wet and I didn't want to deal with removing a sopping cover (sensory issues? um, yeah) and therefore would not be grilling the sliders, I'd have to add a little cooking oil to the indoor grill - aka skillet - so that the little guys wouldn't stick like crazy. I added aforementioned oil with great effect. The burgers didn't stick. Two (no longer) secrets to great indoor burgers - brown lightly on both sides and then cover the pan with a lid of some sort. The burgers will hold in their juices while continuing to cook. Yum. And add a little garlic powder (not garlic salt - way too hard to control how salty they get). Double yum. I served them with freshish Florida corn that was actually REALLY delicious. And served them on whole wheat hot dog buns - which are perfect for sliders because you just cut them in half. I found a whole bin of them at WH - I wondered why they were all tossed into a bin instead of positioned nicely on a shelf. My guess is that they were a little undercooked or something - they were really mushy. So I toasted them a little and that remedied the problem. Quick meal. So easy and so good. Not quite as satisfying as grilled corn (if you haven't tried it, make this the summer you do!) and grilled burgers, but hey, the propane tank is full and summer will be here before we know it!

No comments:

Post a Comment